Human Growth Hormone
HGH Releasing Peptide and Secretagogues:
Human Growth Hormone (HGH) levels peak while you’re a teenager and into early adulthood. Levels decline rapidly after the age of 30 and result in a myriad of symptoms that are usually associated with “getting older.”
Symptoms typically include an increase in body fat, loss in muscle mass and strength, fatigue, decreased sex drive, cognitive decline, and a myriad of “age associated” symptoms. Replacing HGH itself is very expensive and can only be prescribed based off strict FDA guidelines. This is where secretagogues come in.
HGH secretagogues are medications that naturally increase the bodies ability to produce its own HGH. These medications are typically administered on a daily basis and are injectable or in pill form.
Diagnosing Growth Hormone Insufficiency:
We diagnose growth hormone insufficiency by testing your insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) which is part of the initial blood work every man gets during their first visit at Alpha Medical. IGF-1 is produced by the liver in response to circulating HGH that is secreted while you sleep. The higher the IGF-1 levels, the more growth hormone the body is producing. If IGF-1 levels are low, it indicates that your body is not producing enough HGH.
IGF-1 levels peak when you’re a teenager and are typically in the 400-500 range. These levels drop as we age and by the time you are in your 40s, levels hover in the 100-200 range. If your IGF-1 levels are low and you begin peptide treatment, we target IGF-1 levels in the 200-300 range.
Benefits of Growth Hormone Restoration are numerous:
- Improved sleep and recovery
- Improve mood and well-being
- Weight loss
- Increased lean muscle mass and strength
- Strengthens the immune system
- Increased bone density
- Increased Energy
We utilize multiple different types of growth hormone peptides:
- Sermorelin: Sermorelin is a Growth Hormone Releasing Hormone Analog that stimulates the production of HGH. It is taken nightly and improves sleep quality. In addition, it aids in fat loss, improves muscle composition and anecdotally improves mood and well-being
- Ipamorelin: Ipamorelin is a Ghrelin agonist and stimulates the production of HGH in a steadier slow release that mimics the natural release of HGH during sleep. It aids in fat loss, increasing muscle mass, improving sleep and improving the immune system. It can be taken more long term as an age management supplement in older patients if desired.
- Ibutamoren: Ibutamoren is a Ghrelin agonist that stimulates the pituitary gland to release HGH. Ibutamoren is unique because it is dispensed as a pill vs. injection like the other growth hormone secreting peptides. This increases muscle mass, aids in fat loss, increases appetite, improves physical performance and stamina and also aids in surgical/injury recovery.